First Aid Kit
Welding Sparks in the Tunnel Construction

Elevated Work Platform (over 11m)

Canberra and Surrounds

TLILIC0005 License to operate a boom-type elevating work platform (boom length 11m or more) 

Course Information

This unit specifies the skills and knowledge required to safely operate a boom-type Elevating Work Platform (EWP) where the length of the boom is 11 metres or more in accordance with all relevant legislative requirements.  

Duration and Delivery Mode

This course is delivered over 24 hours (3 days) for NSW and 16 hours (2 days) for ACT  in a real or simulated work environment. Due to the intensive nature of this training attendance for the full workshop times is required.  

Entry Requirements

To be eligible to enrol into this course students must be 14 years or older. Written parental consent is required for all students under the age of 18 years.  


Students must have the right to study in Australia, and evidence of citizenship, residency status, or visa entitlements will be asked for at the time of enrolment. Global Skills Development is not a CRICOS registered RTO, so we are unfortunately unable to accept enrolments from people who are on a Student Visa (subclass 500).  


To study any accredited course with Global Skills Development you must have a Unique Student Identifier (USI).  


At the time of enrolment students will be asked to complete a short online Language, Literacy, and Numeracy assessment to ensure they have the required skills to successfully participate in training and assessment and identify the need for additional support.  


This course is assessed using a combination of practical skills demonstrations, verbal questioning, and written assessment tasks.  


NSW Only: 

To be eligible for a high-risk work license in Boom-Type Elevating Work Platform over 11m reach you need to undergo additional assessment facilitated by a registered SafeWork NSW assessor (see licensing information below for more information).  

Certificate Renewal and Licensing

A person performing this work is required to hold a boom-type elevating work platform high risk work license (HRWL). Competence in this unit, does not in itself result in a Risk Work Licence (HRWL) to operate this plant.  



The National Assessment Instrument (NAI) is the mandated assessment for the HRWL to operate the relevant licencing class as detailed in this unit. A registered SafeWork NSW assessor will attend your course to conduct the assessment and will have the application forms you need to apply for a high-risk work license if you are found competent. You can find more information about these requirements by visiting the SafeWork NSW website: 



On successful completion of your training Global Skills Development will issue you with a Statement of Attainment which you can use to apply for a High-Risk Work License in the ACT through Access Canberra. To learn more about this process visit the Access Canberra website: 

What to bring

Flexible clothing which permits free movement 

Covered footwear 

A pen 

Lunch and snacks 

Photo identification 


$950.00 (includes administration fee) 

Recognition of Prior Learning

Global Skills Development are happy to offer recognition of prior learning for people with relevant skills and experience.  


To be eligible for recognition of prior learning candidates must be able to demonstrate that the meet all the unit requirements. For this course RPL assessment involves combinations of: 

  • Workplace supervisor reports 

  • Resume detailing prior work experience, with referee contact details 

  • Workplace documents  

  • Practical demonstration of skills 

  • Verbal and/or written questioning 


All people who want to apply for recognition of prior learning should fill out an application for RPL. Once an application is received a Global Skills Assessor will contact you to discuss your application and determine an appropriate combination of assessment evidence based on your individual experience and circumstances.  


Students in NSW who wish to apply for a HRWL will still need to undergo assessment by a registered SafeWork NSW assessor. 

Related Courses